What’s the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org? This is one of the questions every WordPress beginner asks when they start using WordPress.
The simple difference is :
WordPress.org is software you download and install on your own web server and is much more customizable than a site on WordPress.com.
Let’s look at some other differences, pros
Differences between WordPress.org
|Use web host of your choice.
|Requires premium plan for more features.
|No SFTP access / Customizations limited.
|Professional Customer Support.
|Free plan has wordpress.com in your domain name.
Pros and Cons of WordPress.org
Pros of WordPress.org
- Highly customizable and open-source.
- Allowed to install any plugin/theme.
- You don’t have to pay for a plan, the WordPress.org software is free.
Cons of WordPress.org
- You have to do all the customization yourself.
- Setting up WordPress may be a bit difficult on some hosting providers.
- You do need to sign-up with a web host, although this is not a con it’s still a cost to incur for running your website.
- You may need to setup additional security for your site.
Pros and Cons of WordPress.com
Pros of WordPress.com
- It is easy to
if you want to quickly have a blog online. setup,
- It is less technical.
- You don’t have to worry about web hosting, you get a free WordPress subdomain to host your website (yourwebsite.wordpress.com)
- Maintained for you by professionals, includes better security and caching.
Cons of WordPress.com
- The free plan limits you to 3 GB of data and doesn’t support custom domains.
- Pricing may be expensive for some.
- Only Business Plan users may install third-party plugins/themes.
- No File Manager/FTP access.
In this article you should have a clearer understanding of WordPress.com and WordPress.org solutions. In short, WordPress.com is great for users that don’t want to fuss with managing the ‘nitty gritty’ side of hosting a website. We prefer WordPress.org because of the customizations that are available there. Our site is running on WordPress.org! Happy building!